Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

End of Year Reflection - Graphic Design

What Did I Do This Semester?

This semester was strictly Illustrator based, only using Illustrator to create graphics. We first took our artist from semester 1 (in my case Saul Bass) and created a fake advertisement for an exhibit at the Nelson Art Gallery. This was the result:


This would be the last project dealing with our artist for the semester. I thought it was a good way to end a really long project.

Next we went onto the creation of our typographic quotes, using downloadable fonts to create inspiring quotes found online. We also went a step further to add color schemes. These were my final typography quotes:





I was personally really proud of how they turned out. It was surprisingly hard to come up with color schemes that actually worked and looked good on the designs.

The next project we focused on was the final, and longest, project: The company rebrand. It's a pretty long project that spanned over the whole 4th quarter, so I'll break it down into the steps and process up until the completion.

First we conceptualized and eventually created 6 logo rebrands in black and white.


We then moved onto color schemes, where we created 6 color schemes for each of our 6 logos. Although the was long and tedious, it was a good way to figure out what direction I wanted to go in for the final design.
Finally, I had decided on the perfect design that reflected the company:
For the final part of the project, we took this design and created a letterhead, business card, and envelope for the company.
This would be our final project in Graphic Design.

Time in Class

I believe I used my time in class very wisely, as I turned virtually everything in on time and completed everything within the time given. I think that I really did try my best on every project, an I'm proud of the work I've completed in this class. 

I also got to work on a ton of personal stuff whenever I was already done with all my projects, which is something I never really got to do in animation.

Strengths and Weaknesses

I think my strengths reside in the fact that I turn everything in onetime to the best of my ability. Most of my work reflects this as well. I could be better with communication and collaboration, however. It seems as though we didn't have that many, if any, group projects in the class where people could work together. I think overall I could improve upon these traits to become better socially.

Summary

I loved this year of Graphic Design, enough so to take it over animation for my path in Junior and Senior year. I love everything about Graphic Design, and it really is, what I feel, is my calling for a career. This was a really fun year and I learned a ton about Graphic Design, and I can't wait to start another year of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment